It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and who could argue? Well we decided to bring the celebration to Pittsburgh so that PUMP members, PSLers and friends could come together and have a great time with good people at Penn Brewery. Prior to the activities this evening, I thought you might like to know a little bit more about why putting Oktoberfest and PUMP together is so awesome.
Here are some fun facts about Oktoberfest as traditionally celebrated in Germany:
- Oktoberfest is held in Munich Germany and despite the name, begins in September, lasting 16 days and into the first week of October.
- The first Oktoberfest celebration was held on October 12, 1810, organized in commemoration of Crown Prince Ludwig and Princess Terese of Saxe-Hildburghausen. The original festival included a horse race, the tradition which persisted until 1960.
- Approximately 7,000,000 litres of beer, 80,000 litres of wine, 32,000 litres of sparkling wine, 220 litres of tea/coffee and 1,000,000 litres of lemonade/water are consumed throughout the course of the festival.
- Many beer drinkers forget that the beer is on average a 7.5-8% alcohol content and pass out from excessive drinking. Such patrons who have “had their fill” are called “Bierleichen,” which is German for “beer corpses”.
- “O’zapft ist!” means “It’s tapped!”
- “Zweimal Bier, bitte” means “two beers, please” (you should keep this in mind either so you can grab one for a friend or just an extra for your empty hand).
Now here are some fun facts about PUMP:
- PUMP’s mission is to make Pittsburgh a more dynamic and diverse place to live by giving young and young-thinking people a voice and inspiring them to affect change in our community through civic engagement, professional development, recreation and social networking.
- PUMP membership, which is open to Pittsburghers in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, confers a cornucopia of benefits, including access to social-networking events, sports teams, and job listings.
- PUMP provides one on one access to regional leaders, risk takers and buzz makers. Monthly events feature decision makers in
- business, the arts, government and m ore!
- PUMP opens up the ability to shape Pittsburgh’s future. Many PUMP members are asked, if not already serving on civic and government committees, task forces and boards.
Put the two together and you get PUMPtoberfest!! This is our way of celebrating and bonding with our PUMP members, family and friends. PUMP has been in action for 16 years, engaging the young Pittsburgh community to make a difference to help Pittsburgh grow and change according to the needs of the city and its inhabitants. Featured at PUMPtoberfest this evening will be:
- Yuengling Oktoberfest, Warsteiner Oktoberfest, Spaten Oktoberfest, Penn Weizen, and Church Pious Monk beer (as much as you can fit into a regulation-size rain boot)
- Scrumptious samples from Penn Brewery’s menu, such as Bratwurst, Sauerkraut and soft pretzels
- Live entertainment from Oberkrainer styled band Gaudi Baum
- Good times with great friends and an opportunity to meet your next teammate, board member, PUMP and PSL Staff, etc.
We’re looking forward to seeing you tonight and at future PUMP events or out on the field with PSL sports! Don’t worry if you weren’t able to get in on the Groupon action for the PUMPtoberfest celebration, you can still attend by paying the $40 fee at the door (you must be 21 or older to attend). As a reminder, tickets for the event include admittance to the celebration as well as a two year PUMP membership for new members, or a 2 year renewal for existing members.